Hft | About us | Contact us | Compliments & Complaints

Compliments and Complaints

We are committed to responding to complaints promptly, fairly and sensitively and being accountable to the person making the complaint. We will acknowledge mistakes where they have been made, put things right wherever possible and use this to learn and improve what we do. Instructions on how to complain can be found below.

Alternatively, if you’d like to give us a compliment, please also use the form below, and simply select the compliment option, rather than ‘complaint’!

How to complain:

  • You can make a complaint by completing the form below, by phoneletter, or in person to any member of staff.
  • If you get support from Hft you may choose to use our accessible complaints form.
  • If you need support to make a complaint we will do all we can to do this or help you to get additional support eg advocacy, interpreting services.
  • You can make an anonymous complaint and we will record and review this in the same way as any other complaint, ie we will identify if mistakes have been made and make changes where necessary. But we will not be able to let you know what we have done.  Please note, making your complaint anonymously will also mean we have no way of seeking further background information from you that could help us in resolving your complaint.
  • We will record what your complaint is about and your contact details and acknowledge your complaint within five working days. This information will be held on our Complaints and Compliments system with access limited to Hft staff who are relevant to your complaint.
  • If we pass your complaint to another agency or organisation (because we are required by law or contract to do this) we will let you know. We will give you as much information as we can about who will be handling your complaint in the other agency or organisation.
  • We will tell you who will review and respond to your complaint and their contact details and the date that they will respond to you by. This should be within 28 days from the date of your complaint.
  • We will let you know if it is going to take longer than 28 days to respond to you, explain why this is and give you the date by which you can expect to have a response.
  • In our response to your complaint we will:
    • describe what was found and acknowledge if any mistakes were made and whether changes have been and/or will be made as a result of your complaint
    • give you as much information as possible balanced against necessary confidentiality and compliance with our legal and statutory duties
    • ask you to tell us if you are satisfied with the response.
  • If you are not satisfied because you believe that we have not responded properly and fairly to your complaint, we will record this and instigate a further review. We will let you know who will provide this further review of your complaint (within five working days), their contact details and the date they will respond to you by (within 28 days from the date you tell us that you are not satisfied with the first response).
  • If, following this second response, you remain unsatisfied we will offer you a meeting with a senior manager.
  • When your complaint has been concluded we will ask you what you think about how we responded to your complaint, how confident you feel about using the complaints procedure and for your ideas about how our response to complaints could be improved.  The Quality and Improvement Team will administer and review this process.

Hft Executive (on a regular basis) and Trustees (annually) will review complaints, the subsequent outcomes and learning and the feedback about how complaints were handled.

If you are not satisfied with how Hft has dealt with your complaint

If you remain dissatisfied with the way your complaint has been handled, you can complain to the Local Authority that funds you or the person you are representing.


You can contact the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO). The LGO Advice Team contact details are:

Tel: 0300 061 0614

Text: ‘call back’ with your name and mobile number to 0762 480 3014

Write to: Local Government Ombudsman, PO Box 4771, Coventry, CV4 0EH

Email: advice@lgo.org.uk

Website: www.lgo.org.uk


If your complaint is about Hft residential and domiciliary care services that are regulated by CQC you can contact the Care Quality Commission (CQC):

Write to: CQC, Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4PA

Tel: 03000 616161

Website: www.cqc.org.uk

We will always co-operate fully with these agencies.

Compliment/Complaint Form