Medals and more at the Special Olympics!
Hft athletes competing at this year’s Special Olympics in Sheffield have come away with stacks of medals and a well-deserved sense of achievement.
People we support from all over the country participated in the games between 7 and 12 August, which saw around 2,600 athletes compete in the UK’s largest multi-sports event for athletes with learning disabilities.
Participants supported by Hft included Arvon, a Special Olympics veteran who bagged a silver medal as the oldest powerlifter in his event, and Ben, who cycled home with a gold in the 3K road race.
Support staff also played a huge role on the day in helping transport athletes and their supporters to and from their events, and in cheering them on as they wowed the crowd with their talents and enthusiasm.
Other Hft competitors included:
- Ben – Table Tennis Singles: Gold; Doubles: Silver and Open knockout: Bronze
- Dinesh – 400m walk: Silver; Shot put: Silver and 800m walk: Silver
- Hilary – Bowling: Bronze
- James – Junior powerlifting: Bronze
- Jayne – 50m walk: Silver
- Nicholas – 800m walk: Bronze
- Ruth – Hoop: Bronze and Rope: Bronze
- Stephanie -Softball: Gold and 100m walk: Silver
If we’ve missed your name, let us know and we’ll add you to the list. Congratulations to all participants – you’re all superstars!