We need volunteers to assist people with learning disabilities to do the things they enjoy in their community– whether it’s bowling, swimming, crafting, finding new hobbies, baking, playing board games, singing, dancing, watching sports or going out for a coffee or to the cinema.
There is no typical day as everyone is a unique person with different needs of support.
Duties may include:
- Building a trusting relationship with your mentee, working towards achieving their goals.
- To assist people to develop basic life skills to help someone become more independent
- Supporting people to attend health and wellbeing appointments.
- Walking alongside people, listening, guiding, and offering solutions and choices.
- Introducing people to new social activities and peer networking.
- Either lone working with people, joint working with another team member or working to support people in group activities.
- Opportunities to facilitate group activities, be creative and use your skills to engage people to join.
- Providing company and conversation, improving people mental health
- Attending monthly support sessions with your line manager.
- Recording your notes and hours after each session.
We are looking for people:
- With a passion to help others.
- Who are empathetic, patient and reliable.
- Positive, committed, and non-judgmental.
- Who are available for 4-6 hours a week for 4-6months minimum.
- Confident and understanding of people challenging behaviours – full training given.
We offer a full training programme, via e-learning and on the job training and an induction plan after which you will get shadowing opportunities before you start.
We can also support your professional, social and personal development and help you to achieve your own volunteering goals. This is suitable for all ages, experience and skill levels.
Your support will give your mentee the opportunity to gain confidence, independence and skills – all while doing something you both enjoy.
You don’t need any qualifications or experience to be a volunteer mentor, just a kind and caring nature and some free time. We reimburse all out of pocket expenses.
If this sounds like something you can do, please apply and someone will be in touch shortly.
Volunteer Mentor Applications