Note: The application date for this job has now passed.
Hft Newcastle Area
Casual / Flexi
£7.83 per hour (plus 12.07% in lieu of holiday pay)
For further information please contact:
Giedre Ginitaite on 01912131608 or email email@example.com
Relief Support Worker
Locations – Northumberland, Newcastle and the Tyne & Wear area
Hours – Various hours available
Hourly rate – £7.83 (plus 12.07% in lieu of holiday pay)
Would you like a meaningful job that makes a difference, supporting individuals to fulfil their potential? Join us and help change lives.
Hft is a national charity and a leading force in supporting people with learning disabilities and their families. A nationwide organisation, we support over 3,000 people through innovative, person-centred services with a strong focus on promoting independence.
Everything we do focuses on helping the people we support live the best life possible and by working in partnership with them, and those that know them well, we create flexible services that meet their needs, whether they need a lot, or just occasional support.
About the role
As a Relief Support Worker at Hft you’ll be supporting adults with learning disabilities to live the best life possible. In these roles, everything you do will enable people to have choices about their own lives, creating flexible services that meet people’s needs and always looking for the best way of doing things.
There’s no such thing as a “typical day” for one of our Support Workers. You never know what you might end up doing. You could be supporting someone to make their breakfast in the morning, go swimming or to a local cafe in the afternoon – or even helping them plan their birthday party or a family event. Sometimes it’s challenging, but it’s always rewarding. You’ll go to work knowing that you’re making a positive difference to someone’s life. And you’ll be working in a team of skilled, dedicated colleagues who’ll support you all the way.
You will be covering leave, training and sickness within our Supported Living Services, with hours that fit in with life’s other commitments; this is an ideal way of discovering if this is the career for you. As we provide 24/7 support you can choose to work shifts which may be days, weekends, nights or Bank Holidays.
You don’t need experience of support work or any special qualifications for this job – you’ll get plenty of training along the way. It’s great if you already have experience of learning disabilities, autism or dementia, but this is by no means essential. What matters most is your positive attitude to life and your desire to support people to live their life with as much independence, choice, dignity and control as possible.
What we offer
We’ll give you a comprehensive induction, full training and support along the way. With Investors in People and Skills for Care accreditation we are committed to investing in our teams to ensure they have the specialist skills and expertise needed to support others to live the best life possible.
Join us and help us change lives.
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES PLEASE
If you do not hear from us within 4 weeks after the closing date your application has not been successful on this occasion.
Hft’s usual terms and conditions apply.
Hft is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. As a Disability Confident Employer, Hft is helping to ensure that disabled people have the same opportunities to fulfil their potential and realise their aspirations that people without disabilities do.
Successful applicants will need to undertake an enhanced disclosure check against the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). Having a criminal record may not bar you from employment.
Relief Support Worker
As a Worker for Hft you will be requested to cover shifts on an ad hoc basis. You are not an employee of Hft and remain a ‘Worker’ for the duration of each individual contract you undertake for Hft. Whilst carrying out work for Hft you are expected to comply with the following duties at all times.
You will report to the Operational Manager, Registered Cluster Manager, Senior Support Worker or Senior Supported Living Worker and they will inform you of your specific areas of work and responsibilities.
One to one meetings
You will be invited to attend one-on-one meetings with the Operational Manager, Registered Cluster Manager, Senior Support Worker or Senior Supported Living Worker. You may also be invited to join a group meeting with the staff team.
Purpose of the Job
To work within Hft’s Vision and Mission, values, Worker Guidelines and Relief Workers’ Handbook, to assist in the creation of an environment in which all individuals receive the highest possible standards of support.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
You must carry out all duties and responsibilities to the appropriate statutory requirements and internal guidelines.
Support for Individuals
You will need to:
1. Offer the highest levels of support to individuals at all times
2. Promote the well-being and general health of individuals and help create surroundings in which the individual feels secure
3. Contribute to the individual you work with and their general development. This will include the personal, social, occupational and leisure development
4. Provide emotional and practical support for individuals for everyday issues, and when individuals are faced with difficult decisions or experiences
5. Assist and/or support individuals with all aspects of their financial management as required, eg paying bills, claiming benefits, purchasing clothes, presents etc
6. Support individuals with their household work
7. Prompt or assist individuals in aspects of personal care with sensitivity, respect and dignity, where necessary and as required by their condition, culture and wishes
8. Undertake sleep-in duties or waking night duties on the premises, when required
9. Act as secondary person when accompanying individuals on holiday, when required
10. Understand the principals and systems of communication between individuals and their parents, relatives and friends
11. Start, reply and maintain contact with other professionals or agencies
12. Complete all records and carry out appropriate general administration duties as required
13. Know and work within relevant legislation, eg Health and Safety at Work Act
14. Prepare for and participate in one-to-to meetings, review meetings and other meetings you may be invited to
15. Have a duty to adhere to the Relief Workers’ Handbook, Hft’s Information and Guidance for Relief Workers document, Health and Safety policies, standards and guidelines at all times
16. Undertake all training as required
17. Maintain the confidentiality of all information about individuals at all times
18. Undertake such other duties as appropriate.
Relief Support Worker
As a Relief Support Worker for Hft you will be requested to cover shifts on an ad hoc basis. You are not an employee of Hft and remain a ‘Worker’ for the duration of each individual contract you undertake for Hft. Hft will give you an induction, support and training in the role of Relief Worker, but listed below are some key qualities that you should already have.
What you need to be a Relief Worker:
Nice to Haves: