What is the Family Carer Support Service?
Hft’s Family Carer Support Service (FCSS) is a free national support service for parent carers and family carers who have a relative aged 16 or over with a learning disability, autism or both. Support is available to all family carers, whether or not their relative is supported by Hft.
We support family carers to navigate all elements of health and social care, as well as how to understand and exercise their rights and those of their relative.
How can the Family Carer Support Service help you?
We can help in the following ways:
- Ongoing one-to-one support via telephone and email
- Email and letter writing
- Resources designed to simplify complicated topics
- Bespoke workshops about subjects affecting family carers and their relative
- Information and guidance with common topics
Common topics include:
- Transition from children’s to adult services
- The Mental Capacity Act
- Adult social care
- Personal budgets, direct payments and care packages
- Financial contributions and disability related expenditure
- Carers’ rights
- Health budgets and Continuing Healthcare (CHC) funding
- Lasting Power of Attorney and Deputyship
- Benefits, such as PIP and Universal Credit
- Planning for the future
If you are experiencing problems with any of the above, feel free to get in touch and we’ll see if we can help. Take a look at the ways you can Contact Us.