Hft | Resources & Guidance | Carer's Assessment

Find Hft support near you:

Carer’s Assessment

Carer’s Allowance is different to a Carer’s Assessment. A Carer’s Assessment is carried out by your local authority, whereas Carer’s Allowance is a benefit provided by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). There are different ways that your assessment can be carried out, for example:

  • an online self-assessment
  • a supported self-assessment with a local carer’s centre
  • a face-to-face assessment with a social worker.

You are entitled to choose the method that works best for you.

Your finances have no bearing on your entitlement to a Carer’s Assessment, and – unlike Carer’s Allowance – there is no set amount of hours that you have to care for an individual; you just have to have an appearance of need for support. As the threshold is very low for carers to be entitled to an assessment, we would encourage everyone to ask for one. A Carer’s Assessment is the first step for a carer to access support from their local authority.

More information about Carer’s Assessments: