Find Hft support near you:

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is coming to an end for people aged 16 to 64. It is being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Some people are entitled to carry on claiming DLA:

  • Children under the age of 16, and
  • People born on or before 8 April 1948 with an existing claim

Everyone else will have to apply for PIP.  Your benefits will not automatically move from DLA to PIP, so the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will write to you or your appointee by October 2017 inviting you to apply. If you are not entitled to carry on claiming DLA and you do not apply for PIP you could lose your benefits.

Do I still have to apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) even if I have been awarded a ‘lifetime’ or ‘indefinite’ award for Disability Living Allowance (DLA)?

If you are between the ages of 16 and 64 and have been awarded a ‘lifetime’ or ‘indefinite’ award for DLA, you will still need to apply for PIP as your DLA will come to an end.

The Family Carer Support Service has created a user-friendly Personal Independence Payment (PIP) ‘quick tips’ guide for family carers. The tips are intended to make the process of completing the form as straightforward as possible, and help you complete it in a way that will give the assessors an accurate picture of your relative’s situation.

More information about Personal Independence Payment (PIP):

*This information was correct at time of writing in June 2017