What is Carer’s Allowance?
Carer’s Allowance is a benefit available to people who provide at least 35 hours of care to someone per week. The money received can be used in whatever way the carer likes. It’s a taxable benefit, so it does form part of your taxable income if you earn over your personal expenses allowance. However, for each week you receive Carer’s Allowance, you will also automatically get National Insurance credits.
Am I entitled to Carer’s Allowance?
If you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits (for example Personal Independence Payment or Disability Living Allowance) you could be entitled to receive this benefit.
- You do not have to be related to or live with the person that you care for to qualify
- 35 hours’ of care does not only involve physical care (such as washing and dressing) but also practical support and prompting (such as booking GP appointments and reminding the person to attend them).
How much is Carer’s Allowance?
For 2018/19, Carer’s Allowance is paid at £64.60 to eligible carers.
While it is not means tested, there is an upper limit on how much you can earn while still being entitled to receive it. The 2018/19 upper limit for earnings is £120 per week after deductions.
Claiming Carer’s Allowance can affect the benefits of the person who you care for, so it is important to find out more information before making a claim:
Does claiming affect the person I care for’s benefits?
When you claim Carer’s Allowance, the person you care for will stop getting:
- a severe disability premium paid with their benefits
- an extra amount for severe disability paid with Pension Credit, if they get one
- reduced Council Tax – contact their local council to find out if this affects them
You might be eligible for Carer’s Credit if you’re not eligible for Carer’s Allowance.
If you have any questions about Carer’s Allowance, contact Hft’s Family Carer Support Service on telephone number 0808 801 0448. The FCSS’ freephone number is normally answered Tuesday to Thursday 9am to 3:45pm.